Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Marrakech & Ouarzarzate

13 - 18 janvier 2007

Marrakech (Morocco) was an exciting and surreal experience. It has such a vibrant atmosphere. I don't think the place ever sleeps.

It was also a bit of a challenge doing it alone - especially as a female. Yes, I was hassled non-stop but it was all quite harmless - just annoying. Despite this minor aspect, the trip was well worth it and I had a wonderful time immersing myself in this culture/religion/way of life. I had studied Islam law in one of my subjects at uni but it was great to see all these ideals in practice in a non-extremist environment.






I stayed right in the heart of Marrakech at riad Rahba - a stone's throw away from Jemaa-El-Fna (not a drop of hot water - freezing cold showers!). Wandering through the area with all of its souks and snake charmers was great. The things that those merchants do just to get your attention is hilarious!



I headed to Ouarzarzate shortly after with a few random Italian air hostesses (who spoke no French so I spent the day interpreting for them!), stopping along the way to see the great UNESCO-protected Kasbah Ait Haddou. It has been used multiple times as film sets for features such as Gladiator. Absolutely amazing views from the top.








On our journey back to Marrakech, we ran into the same Berber guy. He was great entertainment. We spent nearly 15 minutes taking the photos below because we were in stitches from laughing so much! :)


No comments: