Saturday, April 28, 2012

Take Two

After last weekend's misfortune, we decided to head back out to Richmond to try and find this I Love Pho 264 restaurant that everyone has been going on about. When we arrived, I noticed that the menu board was identical to the one we saw in Phoenix - Phuong Hoang Restaurant last weekend but put it down to the possibility that perhaps all of the Vietnamese restaurants use the same sign maker.

We ordered pho again as well as pork and prawn rice paper rolls. The pho was on the sweet side but lacked that punch that you find in really good pho. Admittedly, I think I may have been harsher in my judgement given that the restaurant has received so many raving reviews about its pho. We did notice, however, that there were not many Asian customers in the restaurant which could explain the misleading reviews. All in all, the pho was not bad but I am not sure that it is worth returning to the restaurant for a second visit. Having said that, while their rice paper rolls were clumsily rolled (when I saw them I thought that my Grandma would be horrified), the hoisin dipping sauce laced with chilli was pretty good.

Interestingly enough, while I was eavesdropping on a conversation between the restaurant owner and some customers next to us, I discovered that the owner had just opened a new restaurant down the road called... Phoenix - Phuong Hoang Restaurant. So, it seems like we weren't duped last weekend after all!


2 comments:

Sam Rust said...

hi,

you should try the restaurant next to it PHO CHU THE 270 victoria street. ate there today with a bunch of friends, we swear to stay and not go elsewhere after trying their beautiful soups. apparently the chef is the original chef since long time ago and I love pho 264 used to franchise with them. we used to go to i love pho but after trying this, the 7 of us agreed that this is by far the best noodle soup. (most of the crowds are asians in this place)

Beck said...

Hi Sam!

You've definitely convinced me - especially given that all 7 of you unanimously decided that you will not go elsewhere. I will head out to Pho Chu The to give them a try.

I was tossing up between Pho Chu The and I Love Pho 264 two weekends ago but ended getting lost and going to the wrong restaurant (I just moved from Brisbane and got totally confused with the street numbers that don't seem to be in consecutive order).

Have a great week. :)

Beck